Running back woes

Running back woes

PROVO– Cougar fans will see some new faces in the backfield tonight.

BYU began fall camp August 10th with duel-threat QB Taysom Hill and BYU’s third all-time leading rusher Jamaal Williams.

But now the running back depth chart looks a little different. Williams withdrew from school before the start of fall camp, and Hill’s out with a season-ending injury.

Coaches turned to bruisers Algernon Brown and Adam Hine for answers until Brown went out during the Boise State game and Hine during the Michigan.  All this forced BYU to turn to the youngbloods. Freshman Francis Bernard will fill the void, with Nate Carter and Riley Burt as backup.  Bernard’s experience is limited, but head coach Bronco Mendenhall is confident in his young player.

“I like him a lot. I think he’s tough, I think he’s physical, I think he can block, I think he can catch the ball out of the backfield, and I think he can run it and so he’s really versatile and his role will increase.”

Uconn’s run defense through the first four games of the season is allowing 170 rush yards per game which ranks 73rd nationally, so there will be opportunities for the Cougars.

[vimeo 141209568 width=520]

Spencer King

Latest posts by Spencer King (Posts)

Did you like this? Share it: