Super strange SuperBowl

Super strange SuperBowl

PROVO- BYU’s football program is no stranger to seeing former Cougars play in the SuperBowl, but two alums said their SuperBowl experiences couldn’t have been stranger.

BYU leads the state of Utah in the number of players appearing in the big game with 62, almost double the amount of their in-state rivals. Legends Jim McMahon and SuperBowl MVP  Steve Young are two of the big names who walked off the field with rings, but two current BYU athletic staff members recall one particular SuperBowl as a difficult experience.

Associate Athletic Director Chad Lewis and BYU football running back Coach Reno Mahe were playing for the Philadelphia Eagles in SuperBowl XXXIX against Tom Brady and the Patriots. “I sometimes describe it as going on one of the funnest roller coasters in the world… and then it crashes,” Mahe said.

It was a roller coaster that Lewis couldn’t ride, however, as he was injured pulling in the winning touchdown pass in the NFC Championship game.

“When I finally got to go to the SuperBowl, my team ran out of the tunnel and I had to put my jazzy scooter on full blast out of the tunnel– “Wheeeeee”… Oh man, I [wished] so bad I could play,” Lewis said.

Although it may not have gone how they’d hoped, both Lewis and Mahe said it was an incredible experience they won’t forget.

Lewis and Mahe also said that the BYU football program prepared them for off-the-field just as much, if not more, than it did for on-the-field.

[vimeo 154356887 width=520]

Erin O'Sullivan

Latest posts by Erin O'Sullivan (Posts)

Did you like this? Share it: