Campus political debate

Campus political debate

PROVO- Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton aren’t the only ones debating in this election cycle. Students at BYU had their turn at the podium last night.

It wasn’t your normal college debate, discussing topics from vending machines and parking spaces to the same issues the presidential hopefuls are talking about.

Not even the thick walls of the JFSB basement could muffle the applause last night when three BYU Democrats and three Republicans went head-to-head on today’s hottest political issues.  Freshman Democrat Hannah Tew debated for the first time last night, but she had a long history of preparation.

“I am a product of my environment, I grew up in a very liberal home,” she said.

She said she was nervous before the debate, but when things got going she was totally focused.

“… I think that the government is responsible for making sure that social institutions stay in place to keep people who are in trouble or who are in poverty or are trying to get out of their current situation can do that,” Tew said.

One of Tew’s Republican rivals, Tatiana Flexman, also made her collegiate debate debut and shared her family training on politics. She said politics is a frequent dinner conversation in her family and her parents’ strong patriotism guides her republican stance.

“I followed my first election when I was eight,” she said.

Both women made note of the increasing numbers of Democrats in the traditionally red Beehive State.

“It’s becoming less of a synonym to say Republican and Mormon and I think that’s really exciting,” Flexman said.

The debate ended with a call to be more involved in today’s political scene, starting with campus clubs.

This was the second debate hosted by the BYU Political Review this year and almost 50 people turned out for it.

Students nationally have already played a large part in this election cycle.

Did you like this? Share it: