Bacteria Outbreak

Bacteria Outbreak

Stores around the nation and here in Utah are pulling groceries off the shelves because of a dangerous bacteria.The CDC is calling this an outbreak.

I noticed a long list of recall items on my receipt when I went to a local grocery store. It turns out there are many stores scrambling to keep you safe.

The CDC says the problem is listeria — a dangerous food-borne illness that may cause nausea, fever, and in extreme situations, death.

Smiths…Costco..and Wal-Mart are recalling dozens of products, mainly frozen vegetables. The CDC reports that a common supplier is likely responsible for the outbreak. Dr. Frost Steele, Associate Professor in the Department of Nutrition, Dietetics, and Food Science, says listeria is unique because cold temperatures don’t kill it off.

“It does more than just survive,” Steele said. “There’s a lot of other organisms that survive in cold temperatures, but listeria can grow and multiply…”

Steele says pregnant women and their unborn babies are more susceptible because of listeria’s ability to infect the fetus. He says not to panic though, just throw out any items on recall.

So far no one in Utah has reported getting sick from listeria, and the Smith’s store where I bought my groceries says to bring anything on recall back to them.

You can find a full list of recalled items here.

Did you like this? Share it: