BYU softball freshman standing out

BYU softball freshman standing out

PROVO, Utah – The 23rd ranked Brigham Young University softball team has started 6 and 3 with the help of its underclassmen.

Freshman pitcher Kerisa Viramontes set a BYU record by throwing a no-hitter in her first game. She also received WCC pitcher of the week.

“I didn’t even know I was throwing a no-hitter,” Viramontes said. “And then (outfielder Rylee Jensen) comes up to me in like the 5th inning and she’s like ‘Hey, you’re throwing a no-hitter.’ And then I was like ‘I am?’ And then she’s like ‘Wait, knock on wood!’ Like, can’t ruin that! And then I was like, in the back of my head I’m just like ‘Oh crap. I’m throwing a no hitter.’”

Head Coach Gordan Eakin credits Viramontes hard work and dedication to her performance.

“She was one walk-away from a perfect game. So yeah, we’ll take that. She started out strong and we think that will continue,” Eakin said.

Freshman outfielder Rylee Jensen is also turning heads.

“The day she had with… about five doubles, was just – I’ve never seen anything like it. It was a pretty incredible day for a freshman,” Eakin said.

Along with the underclassmen, Eakin has a strong pitching group and experienced infielders.

“Because we have five very capable pitchers, this team could go deep in the NCAA tournament this year, I believe,” Eakin said.

The Cougars beat 11th ranked Georgia 4-0 Thursday night, and beat Louisville 4-0 Friday morning.

Did you like this? Share it: