Director of BYU Sports Medicine beats bone cancer

PROVO – More than 15.5 million Americans have a history  of cancer, and a Brigham Young University Athletics employee is now one of them.
Carolyn Billings, the Director of Sports Medicine at BYU, was diagnosed with bone cancer last June for the fourth time. Billings, however, said she was lucky to have so many people help her along the way.
“I am blessed to have such great people in my life. From students to my athletes, to family and friends and everyone. It was just overwhelming how much support I had,” she said.
Billings said many athletes and co-workers stepped up to support her with visits, cards, and sweets. Some people volunteered to mow her lawn and make her meals, and of course there were other trainers who helped around the training room. The BYU Women’s soccer team even came up with the phrase “Carolyn Can” to put on the back of their game day warm up shirts. Billings said that this phrase gave her a lot of  courage as she fought the cancer.
Billings was finally declared cancer free last week. She said that this trial has taught her to be happy and to enjoy life because you never know when it all could end.
Did you like this? Share it: