Controversy over historic BYU Women’s Gym

PROVO, Utah – The old Brigham Young University Women’s Gymnasium is getting a controversial face-lift.

American developer Circus Trix purchased the old gym located across from the Provo Library last year. Company owner Case Lawrence has spent more than $1 million so far renovating it.

“It’s a building that means a lot to me. I love the history of the building,” he said.

The building will be Circus Trix’s corporate office.

“I firmly believe that the best way to preserve a building is by making it relevant for the modern day,” Lawrence said.

The city issued a stop work order when they found out that Circus Trix replaced the original windows and doors. Provo City approved the other changes, but not the removal of the windows and doors.

Scott Bingham sat on the committee that issues the stop work order.

“I just think it’s a tragedy that the windows were removed like that and replaced with such an inferior copy,” he said.

Bingham said Circus Trix should have replaced the windows with panes that reflect the original architecture.

“It’s a cheap copy of what was originally there,” he said.

But Lawrence said people need to remember his company is working with a very old building and that critics need to reserve judgment until they finish the renovations sometime in May.

“I think we’re doing a good job and I think people will agree with that when they see the finished product,” he said.

Lawrence is working with the city to submit a new plan and find a home for the old windows.

Did you like this? Share it: