Provo dollar theater to close March 16

Provo dollar theater to close March 16

PROVO, Utah – Provo’s only dollar movie theater is closing down to make way for a new hotel and business park.

For the past 29 years, college students have flocked to the Movies 8 dollar theater in Plum Tree Plaza. But next month, crews will tear down the theater as part of a multi-million dollar renovation called The Mix.

According to an updated site map posted on the developer’s website, The Mix will have three large office buildings, a 300-unit apartment complex and lots of new retail space. A parking structure and hotel will be built in place of the theater.

Employees at Movies 8 said the theater will close on March 16th, and many dollar movie patrons said they are sad to see it go.

“I think it’s a great place to hang out, and it’s kind of special to me because it’s where my wife and I went on our first date, so I’m going to miss it,” Brigham Young University student Jared Haviland said.

Most of the restaurants in Plum Tree Plaza plan to stay in the new development, including Café Zupas, Jimmy Johns and Café Rio, which will get a brand new building.

The developers plan to add several other businesses. They think the mix of retail, housing and businesses will bring new energy to the area.

Students looking for movie tickets that won’t break the bank can visit the nearest dollar theater in American Fork or Cinemark Theaters on Tuesdays for $5 movie night.

Did you like this? Share it: