Bike Safety Month: Tips for safe cycling

PROVO, UT – National Bike Month is coming to a close, giving us a good opportunity to brush up on some safety issues.

There is no doubt riding a bike to school, to work, or just for fun is good exercise.  But most cyclists will tell you that safety is a top priority.

By law, cars are supposed to give bikers at least three feet when passing on the highway. In 2015, a report from the Utah Department of Public Safety shows that 635 bicyclists were injured and five were killed.

BYU’s Dr. Dale Cressman has commuted on bike for three years, and has had more than a few close calls.

“I wonder sometimes if these motorists, who come close to cyclists, if they realize that, I have a family, I have a wife, I have children,” stated Cressman. “And I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot, if it was one of their children or a spouse of theirs, if they would drive so cavalierly near a cyclist, and I don’t think they would.”

Cressman says cyclists are not protected by a steel cage and airbags, and are responsible for their own safety too. State law doesn’t require helmets, but recommend that cyclists wear them. Cressman also recommends a rear view mirror, and to not listen to loud music.

Additionally, most bikes come with side reflectors on their wheels, which are required by law and can help improve visibility at night.

Did you like this? Share it: